VERONA, Wis. - The Verona girls' basketball team's dreams of going to the state tournament in Ashwaubenon ended Saturday, thanks to a scrappy Sun Prairie team.
Angie Murphy and the Wildcats were trying to beat the Cardinals for the third time this year.
But Sun Prairie had other ideas. Mckayla Yentz scores 16 points, over half her team's total to lead the Cardinals to a 30-26 win.
Late in the 4th quarter, with 3 minutes to go, the Wildcats Jenni LaCroix hit a three to tie the game at 23.
But Sun Prairie responds, as Jenna Conom knocks down a three of her own. The cardinals hang on for the upset to become regional champs and play Madison La Follette next Thursday in Sun Prairie.
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK