VERONA, Wis. - The Verona girls' basketball team's dreams of going to the state tournament in Ashwaubenon ended Saturday, thanks to a scrappy Sun Prairie team.
Angie Murphy and the Wildcats were trying to beat the Cardinals for the third time this year.
But Sun Prairie had other ideas. Mckayla Yentz scores 16 points, over half her team's total to lead the Cardinals to a 30-26 win.
Late in the 4th quarter, with 3 minutes to go, the Wildcats Jenni LaCroix hit a three to tie the game at 23.
But Sun Prairie responds, as Jenna Conom knocks down a three of her own. The cardinals hang on for the upset to become regional champs and play Madison La Follette next Thursday in Sun Prairie.
- Wisconsin school advocates pushing for more money
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely misunderstood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother