MADISON, Wis. - A letter to the editor printed by a University of Wisconsin-Madison student newspaper is going viral online.
The Badger Herald printed a letter from a political science junior titled, "Rape Culture Does Not Exist."
In the letter, student David Hookstead said the U.S. "doesn't have a culture of rape any more than it has a culture of murder."
The article has received several comments online after it was shared by reporters from national media outlets.
The student newspaper's editor, Katherine Krueger, said it was printed to create a meaningful discussion about the issue.
"When I was consulting with our managing editor and our opinion editors about whether or not to publish it, we knew there would be a pretty strong response from the campus," said Krueger. "I think it's important to stare something ugly in the face every once in a while to be reminded that there's still a lot of work to do."
- Poynette woman calls for action over million-dollar scam
- Warmer weather means construction starts on Capitol Square
- Family-owned business disputes child labor laws
- Memorial High all-school read sparks conversations about race, social justice
- DNR provides funding to remove lead service lines from homes
- Delavan man killed in motorcycle vs. tree crash, officials say