MADISON, Wis. - A letter to the editor printed by a University of Wisconsin-Madison student newspaper is going viral online.
The Badger Herald printed a letter from a political science junior titled, "Rape Culture Does Not Exist."
In the letter, student David Hookstead said the U.S. "doesn't have a culture of rape any more than it has a culture of murder."
The article has received several comments online after it was shared by reporters from national media outlets.
The student newspaper's editor, Katherine Krueger, said it was printed to create a meaningful discussion about the issue.
"When I was consulting with our managing editor and our opinion editors about whether or not to publish it, we knew there would be a pretty strong response from the campus," said Krueger. "I think it's important to stare something ugly in the face every once in a while to be reminded that there's still a lot of work to do."
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls