MILWAUKEE - Prosecutors in Milwaukee County are weighing possible charges against a University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee student following an apparent drug overdose death.
A medical examiner's report said police were called to the student's dorm room about 11 p.m. Monday. The 19-year-old freshman told authorities his friend was unresponsive. The report said 56-year-old Tom Stanczyk, of Watertown, was found sitting at a desk and was pronounced dead. It noted drug paraphernalia was found on the desk.
The medical examiner lists the cause of Stanczyk's death as accidental, but results of toxicology tests are yet available. An autopsy found no trauma.
UWM spokesman Tom Luljak said police have probable cause to believe the student gave drugs to Stanczyk. WISN-TV reported investigators have turned the case over to the district attorney's office.
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say
- Local musician, drum instructor charged with possession of child porn