MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee police officer is out of the hospital after he was punched and kicked in the head by a suspect.
Officer Dwain Monteilh was treated for a broken eye socket and bleeding behind the eye. Police say Monteilh and another officer were patrolling a north side neighborhood Monday and approached two men acting suspiciously. Both fled as the officers tried to talk to them.
The officers caught up and struggled with the men. Police say one of the suspects tried to grab Monteilh's gun and struck and kicked him in the face.
A police spokesman tells WISN-TV Monteilh was released from the hospital.
Police Chief Ed Flynn praised the officers' restraint because they could have used deadly force against the suspect who was trying to grab Monteilh's gun.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say