MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee police officer is out of the hospital after he was punched and kicked in the head by a suspect.
Officer Dwain Monteilh was treated for a broken eye socket and bleeding behind the eye. Police say Monteilh and another officer were patrolling a north side neighborhood Monday and approached two men acting suspiciously. Both fled as the officers tried to talk to them.
The officers caught up and struggled with the men. Police say one of the suspects tried to grab Monteilh's gun and struck and kicked him in the face.
A police spokesman tells WISN-TV Monteilh was released from the hospital.
Police Chief Ed Flynn praised the officers' restraint because they could have used deadly force against the suspect who was trying to grab Monteilh's gun.
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike
- Robbery suspect arrested after stealing purse containing $1