MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee police officer is out of the hospital after he was punched and kicked in the head by a suspect.
Officer Dwain Monteilh was treated for a broken eye socket and bleeding behind the eye. Police say Monteilh and another officer were patrolling a north side neighborhood Monday and approached two men acting suspiciously. Both fled as the officers tried to talk to them.
The officers caught up and struggled with the men. Police say one of the suspects tried to grab Monteilh's gun and struck and kicked him in the face.
A police spokesman tells WISN-TV Monteilh was released from the hospital.
Police Chief Ed Flynn praised the officers' restraint because they could have used deadly force against the suspect who was trying to grab Monteilh's gun.
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan