MILWAUKEE - A Milwaukee police officer is out of the hospital after he was punched and kicked in the head by a suspect.
Officer Dwain Monteilh was treated for a broken eye socket and bleeding behind the eye. Police say Monteilh and another officer were patrolling a north side neighborhood Monday and approached two men acting suspiciously. Both fled as the officers tried to talk to them.
The officers caught up and struggled with the men. Police say one of the suspects tried to grab Monteilh's gun and struck and kicked him in the face.
A police spokesman tells WISN-TV Monteilh was released from the hospital.
Police Chief Ed Flynn praised the officers' restraint because they could have used deadly force against the suspect who was trying to grab Monteilh's gun.
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks