WEST ALLIS, Wis. - The grand champion steer at the State Fair's governor's auction is sold for a tidy sum of $30,000.
The 1,300-pound steer was purchased by Kenosha Beef/Birchwood Foods Wednesday night. The steer's owner, 19-year-old Dan Spoerlein, says he bought Chuck "The Hooch" Taylor in 2012 and had an inkling the steer would be a winner.
Livestock judge Mark Hoge said Chuck had what it takes to be a champion. He said the steer is like a middle linebacker with a splash of supermodel.
The Journal Sentinel reported the $30,000 price tag topped last year's winning bid by $2,500.
- Chief: Monday 'a horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Look, up in the sky! It's gypsy moth sprayers
- AG Schimel: Undercover campaign videos reveal no crime