WEST ALLIS, Wis. - The grand champion steer at the State Fair's governor's auction is sold for a tidy sum of $30,000.
The 1,300-pound steer was purchased by Kenosha Beef/Birchwood Foods Wednesday night. The steer's owner, 19-year-old Dan Spoerlein, says he bought Chuck "The Hooch" Taylor in 2012 and had an inkling the steer would be a winner.
Livestock judge Mark Hoge said Chuck had what it takes to be a champion. He said the steer is like a middle linebacker with a splash of supermodel.
The Journal Sentinel reported the $30,000 price tag topped last year's winning bid by $2,500.
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- Mars investigating Skittles said to be intended for cattle
- Man sentenced in heroin overdose death
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick