MADISON, Wis. - A tornado drill is planned statewide across Wisconsin on April 18 as part of severe weather awareness week.
Wisconsin Emergency Management, ReadyWisconsin and the National Weather Service have teamed up to make people aware of the dangers of severe storms and tornadoes next week.
Last year there were four confirmed tornadoes in Wisconsin, far below the average of 23 annually. In 2011, there were 38 confirmed tornadoes which resulted in one fatality.
The peak tornado season in Wisconsin is April to August, but tornadoes have been reported throughout the year.
If severe storms are actually happening when the drill is planned April 18, it will be postponed to April 19.
- UW study using video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors
- Papermaker agrees to complete Fox River cleanup
- Wine-and-tapas bar, gastropub open in Dane County airport
- Search of lake for human remains from plane crash ends
- Teenager 'going crazy with a knife' arrested