MADISON, Wis. - The Legislature's budget committee has voted to remove the last meaningful duty of the state treasurer, giving the obligation to manage unclaimed funds to the Department of Revenue.
The Joint Finance Committee voted 13-3 on Wednesday to make the change as current Treasurer Kurt Schuller watched from the audience.
Schuller said the decision was a "complete and total blindside." He called it an "incredibly unjustifiable move."
Schuller said it makes no sense to remove all duties of the office without also eliminating the position. He campaigned in 2010 on the pledge that he would eliminate the office. But that requires a constitutional amendment, which has not passed in the Legislature.
Schuller is not seeking re-election.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash