MADISON, Wis. - The Legislature's budget committee has voted to remove the last meaningful duty of the state treasurer, giving the obligation to manage unclaimed funds to the Department of Revenue.
The Joint Finance Committee voted 13-3 on Wednesday to make the change as current Treasurer Kurt Schuller watched from the audience.
Schuller said the decision was a "complete and total blindside." He called it an "incredibly unjustifiable move."
Schuller said it makes no sense to remove all duties of the office without also eliminating the position. He campaigned in 2010 on the pledge that he would eliminate the office. But that requires a constitutional amendment, which has not passed in the Legislature.
Schuller is not seeking re-election.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land