MIAMI - Giancarlo Stanton hit two home runs and made a spectacular diving catch in right field to help the Miami Marlins beat the St. Louis Cardinals 6-5 on Monday night.
Stanton's 13th multi-homer game established a franchise career record and he tied Hanley Ramirez for second place on the club's all-time home run list with 148. Stanton hit a two-run homer in the first and a solo shot in the third to give him 31 on the season.
Marlins starter Tom Koehler (8-9) allowed three runs and eight hits in five innings.
Steve Cishek escaped the ninth to record his 30th save in 33 chances. With two outs, Cishek allowed an RBI triple by Kolten Wong and an RBI single by Matt Holliday allowing the Cardinals to pull within 6-5. Cishek struck out Matt Adams to end the game.
Jon Jay hit a two-run home run, Holliday had four hits, and Shelby Miller (8-9) allowed five runs in five innings for the Cardinals, who have lost three of four.
- Secrecy of $1M settlement questioned
- Warmer temperatures pose risk to apple farmers, plants
- Fire-gutted Evansville tavern torn down
- Judge allows 2nd girl's statements in Slender Man case
- Man crashes into fence, faces 4th OWI, officials say
- Officials unable to confirm connection between Beaver Dam disturbances, Madison shooting