COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. - A Sullivan man suspected of driving 20 miles over the speed limit was also charged with felony drunken driving, authorities said.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office said a deputy stopped on a vehicle at 2 a.m. Saturday on suspicion of going 75 mph in a 55 mph limit zone. The vehicle was traveling on Highway 12/18 near County Highway N in the town of Cottage Grove.
The sheriff's office said the driver, 28-year-old Stephen J. Wleczyk, had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and open intoxicants in his vehicle.
Wleczyk was arrested on suspicion of fifth-offense operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, a felony. He was also cited on suspicion operating after revocation, speeding, open intoxicants and lack of insurance.
The sheriff said he was taken to the Dane County Jail.
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Suspected drunken driver hits car in oncoming lane, police say
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say
- Couple heard window being opened, scared off a would-be burglar, PD says
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Majority of Superior shipyard workers test positive for lead