SPARTA, Wis. - Monroe County deputies said they've arrested a Sparta man in connection with a crash that killed his older brother almost three years ago.
The sheriff's office said the 2009 crash was investigated at the time but authorities couldn't determine who the driver was.
They said they've since been able to pinpoint a suspect through a combination of DNA evidence and statements from witnesses.
The 26-year-old suspect was in jail over the weekend pending a bond hearing Monday. He's being held on a tentative charge of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle.
Authorities believe alcohol was a factor in the crash, which happened in July 2009 in Cashton. The victim was 30 at the time.
- Girl awarded for homeless birthday program
- Woman jumps from balcony to escape fire
- Video captures man stuffing puppies into drain
- Baldwin, other senators seek assurances from Trump pick for EPA
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison