SPARTA, Wis. - Monroe County deputies said they've arrested a Sparta man in connection with a crash that killed his older brother almost three years ago.
The sheriff's office said the 2009 crash was investigated at the time but authorities couldn't determine who the driver was.
They said they've since been able to pinpoint a suspect through a combination of DNA evidence and statements from witnesses.
The 26-year-old suspect was in jail over the weekend pending a bond hearing Monday. He's being held on a tentative charge of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle.
Authorities believe alcohol was a factor in the crash, which happened in July 2009 in Cashton. The victim was 30 at the time.
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need
- Woman's self-written obituary goes viral