DURAND, Wis. - A man has died after falling into the Chippewa River in Dunn County, despite attempts by his son and emergency responders to revive him.
Sheriff's officials say 60-year-old Richard Boettcher of rural Mondovi was sitting on the river bank while his son and another person were fishing northeast of Durand Monday evening. As they prepared to leave, the son walked to the car. When his father failed to follow, the son returned to the fishing spot and found his father floating in the river.
The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram says resuscitation efforts by the son and first responders were unsuccessful.
- Autopsy unable to ID human remains found in shed fire, officials say
- State plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- No injuries reported in burst of afternoon gunfire in residential neighborhood
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery