ASHWAUBENON, Wis. - Some school districts in the Green Bay area say it is OK for off-duty police officers to bring their guns to school events.
The Ashwaubenon School Board has recently approved the move. The Green Bay School District has a similar agreement with local police.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Wisconsin's concealed carry law enacted in November 2011 prohibits weapons in some areas, including schools.
But the law allows concealed weapons on school grounds if districts reach an agreement with an individual or their employer to carry.
School officials say it's a preventative measure and provides added security.
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns