ASHWAUBENON, Wis. - Some school districts in the Green Bay area say it is OK for off-duty police officers to bring their guns to school events.
The Ashwaubenon School Board has recently approved the move. The Green Bay School District has a similar agreement with local police.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Wisconsin's concealed carry law enacted in November 2011 prohibits weapons in some areas, including schools.
But the law allows concealed weapons on school grounds if districts reach an agreement with an individual or their employer to carry.
School officials say it's a preventative measure and provides added security.
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial