ASHWAUBENON, Wis. - Some school districts in the Green Bay area say it is OK for off-duty police officers to bring their guns to school events.
The Ashwaubenon School Board has recently approved the move. The Green Bay School District has a similar agreement with local police.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Wisconsin's concealed carry law enacted in November 2011 prohibits weapons in some areas, including schools.
But the law allows concealed weapons on school grounds if districts reach an agreement with an individual or their employer to carry.
School officials say it's a preventative measure and provides added security.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash