ASHWAUBENON, Wis. - Some school districts in the Green Bay area say it is OK for off-duty police officers to bring their guns to school events.
The Ashwaubenon School Board has recently approved the move. The Green Bay School District has a similar agreement with local police.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that Wisconsin's concealed carry law enacted in November 2011 prohibits weapons in some areas, including schools.
But the law allows concealed weapons on school grounds if districts reach an agreement with an individual or their employer to carry.
School officials say it's a preventative measure and provides added security.
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls
- UW study uses video games to help smokers quit
- UW-Madison suspends fraternity for serving minors