MADISON, Wis. - The outgoing secretary of the state Department of Health Services is scheduled to give an update on Wisconsin's plan for changing Medicaid eligibility and how the state will interact with a federally operated health insurance marketplace known as an exchange.
Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary Dennis Smith is scheduled to give the update Tuesday at the HealthWatch Wisconsin conference. The speech comes after Smith's surprise announcement Friday that he was resigning his post to take a job with a Washington, D.C., law firm.
Wisconsin legislators working on health-related issues are also scheduled to speak at the conference.
Gov. Scott Walker has declined to have the state run the exchange and he has also rejected a federally funded expansion of Medicaid under the federal health care overhaul law.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend