MADISON, Wis. - Madison police say a quick-thinking resident's phone call is the type of help they need to end a rash of "smash-and-grab" thefts in the city center.
The resident in the 200 block of Livingston Street called police after seeing someone smash a car window with a rock and take a bag early Monday morning.
Police said the department got an excellent description and arrested Johnnie L. McGahee, 41, of Madison, in the 900 block of Gorham Street. Officers found the victim's backpack by retracing McGahee's path back to the crime scene, according to police.
McGahee was arrested on suspicion of theft from a motor vehicle, criminal damage to property, entry into a locked vehicle and on a probation hold.
Police say officers don't know if McGahee is linked to any of the other recent thefts.
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says