TOWN OF SPRING GROVE, Wis. - A 61-year-old woman who apparently fell asleep at the wheel became Green County's first road fatality of 2013.
Authorities believe that Donna Wenger, 61, of Brodhead, fell asleep while driving on STH 11 approximately a half-mile east of STH 81/CTH GG in the Town of Spring Grove on Friday evening.
According to a press release issued by the Green County Sheriff's Department, Wenger was driving east on STH 11 when she drifted into the westbound lane, eventually colliding with a vehicle operated by a 43-year-old man.
The man and his 44-year-old passenger were transported by Green County EMS for injuries sustained in the crash.
Wenger was transported by Medflight but on Saturday morning passed away from injuries sustained in the crash.
The crash remains under investigation with the Green County Coroner's Office and the Green County Sheriff's Department.
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say