MADISON, Wis. - Two shoppers at East Towne Mall helped a security guard detain a pair of shoplifters until police arrived, according to Madison police.
The security guard at JC Penney told police he grabbed one of the shoplifters when he spotted them trying to take a couple of fleece tops Thursday afternoon. The woman tried to run, so the guard grabbed her and pushed her against a wall. The other shoplifter tried to punch the guard, but the guard dodged the blow and got both suspected shoplifters against the wall, according to police.
A second guard came to assist, and two shoppers helped the guards keep the man and woman on the floor until police arrived.
Tiffany T. C. Brown, 22, of Madison was arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct and retail theft. Police said she told them she had been involved in retail thefts before and thought the guards acted inappropriately by using force to detain her.
Matthew C. Multiva, 17, of Sun Prairie was arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct and party to the crime of retail theft.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend