MADISON, Wis. - A registered sex offender living in Jefferson County was arrested late Monday night by Dane County sheriff's deputies after an encounter he had with a 17-year-old in the village of Cambridge, the Dane County Sheriff's Office said.
The male victim was working at a local grocery store when he was approached by Phillip J. Godfrey, 46, of Cambridge, according to a Dane County Sheriff's Office news release.
Sheriff's officials said Godfrey made several sexually explicit comments to the victim, and made statements insinuating that he had been watching the boy on past occasions.
"He also insinuated that he had been watching this boy for some time and had some knowledge of the things like the vehicle he drove and where he lived and things like that, which were quite concerning," said Elise Schaffer, spokeswoman for the Dane County Sheriff's Office.
Godfrey was booked into the Dane County Jail on a felony charge of exposing a child to harmful material, according to the news release.
The Dane County Sheriff's Office is asking anyone else who may have been victimized by Godfrey to call the Dane County tip line at 608-284-6900, or leave a tip electronically via danesheriff.com.
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial