MAZOMANIE, Wis. - A 17-year-old is being held as a suspect in a shooting that killed his former girlfriend's sister and a 39-year-old man Monday night.
Dane County Sheriff David Mahoney said Tuesday that Dean M. Sutcliffe, 17, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of first-degree intentional homicide.
The teen was arrested at the scene. Officials say he was upset after ending a relationship with a 15-year-old girl in the household.
The 16-year-old victim was a student at Wisconsin Heights High School. He said the mother of the girls and a 14-year-old and 16-year-old boy were in the home at the time of the shooting. They and the former girlfriend are all students at the same school. The former girlfriend was not home at the time of the shooting.
Sutcliffe was also a student at Wisconsin Heights.
Mahoney said Sutcliffe armed himself with a handgun from his home before going to the trailer park. He said deputies had previous contact with Sutcliffe, but nothing involving criminal charges. Mahoney said Sutcliffe is cooperating with investigators.
Deputies responded to reports of gunshots being fired at Rio Valley Mobile Home Community at 10359 County Road Y just before 11 p.m. Monday. Officials said they found the with gunshot wounds when they arrived. First responders unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate the victims.
The Sheriff's Office said it is working with the school district to provide support for students and staff.
Sutcliffe's initial appearance is scheduled for Thursday.
- Career center helps prepare Beloit teens for workforce
- Preschool teacher, 4-year-old recovering after ‘perfect kidney' transplant
- Lawmakers consider self-driving cars, hear testimony from Uber, GM
- Protesters deliver thousands of postcards to Speaker Ryan
- Smoke from large structure fire causes travel issues near Dodgeville, officials say
- Rising temperatures at poles contribute to mild winter, expert says