BELOIT, Wis. - A Rock County sheriff's deputy arrested a suspected drunken driver who nearly crashed head-on into the deputy's squad car, the Rock County Sheriff's Office said.
The deputy was driving in the 900 block of Vine Street in the city of Beloit at about 1:13 p.m. Sunday when he saw a Pontiac Aztek driving southbound in the northbound lane of traffic and heading straight toward his squad car, according to a Rock County Sheriff's Office news release.
The deputy was able to avoid a collision and stopped the Pontiac Aztek.
When the deputy made contact with the driver, identified as Jose E. Jimenez Valencia, 57, of Beloit, the deputy saw an open can of beer in the driver's console, according to the news release.
Sheriff's officials said Valencia was slurring his words and the deputy could smell the odor of intoxicants coming from him. Due to his level of intoxication, Valencia could not perform standard field sobriety tests, sheriff's officials said.
Valencia was arrested on a felony charge of fifth-offense operating while intoxicated, operating after revocation and driving with open intoxicants, according to this news release.
He is being held at the Rock County Sheriff's Office until his initial appearance in court Tuesday.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday