MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. is calling for placing armed tactical officers or security officers "in every school and public place in America."
Clarke issued that call in a commentary piece posted on a tea party website.
The sheriff also rejects calls for gun control in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass killings in Newtown, Conn. Clarke says suggestions of gun control "are the mind-set of sheep."
Clarke's article was posted on the website "Tea Party Perspective."
The sheriff declined to comment to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His spokeswoman confirmed Clarke authored the commentary.
In a statement Wednesday, Milwaukee Common Council president Willie L. Hines Jr. said he was "appalled" to see Clarke's "over-the-top comments" in print.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart