MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. is calling for placing armed tactical officers or security officers "in every school and public place in America."
Clarke issued that call in a commentary piece posted on a tea party website.
The sheriff also rejects calls for gun control in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass killings in Newtown, Conn. Clarke says suggestions of gun control "are the mind-set of sheep."
Clarke's article was posted on the website "Tea Party Perspective."
The sheriff declined to comment to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His spokeswoman confirmed Clarke authored the commentary.
In a statement Wednesday, Milwaukee Common Council president Willie L. Hines Jr. said he was "appalled" to see Clarke's "over-the-top comments" in print.
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics
- Bill would limit influence of unions on public project bids
- Dane County inmate who was AWOL 10 days back in custody
- Lawmaker wants Milwaukee County sheriff removed
- State Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- 3 adults, 1 child fall through ice on Sauk County lake