MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. is calling for placing armed tactical officers or security officers "in every school and public place in America."
Clarke issued that call in a commentary piece posted on a tea party website.
The sheriff also rejects calls for gun control in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass killings in Newtown, Conn. Clarke says suggestions of gun control "are the mind-set of sheep."
Clarke's article was posted on the website "Tea Party Perspective."
The sheriff declined to comment to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His spokeswoman confirmed Clarke authored the commentary.
In a statement Wednesday, Milwaukee Common Council president Willie L. Hines Jr. said he was "appalled" to see Clarke's "over-the-top comments" in print.
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two