MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. is calling for placing armed tactical officers or security officers "in every school and public place in America."
Clarke issued that call in a commentary piece posted on a tea party website.
The sheriff also rejects calls for gun control in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass killings in Newtown, Conn. Clarke says suggestions of gun control "are the mind-set of sheep."
Clarke's article was posted on the website "Tea Party Perspective."
The sheriff declined to comment to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. His spokeswoman confirmed Clarke authored the commentary.
In a statement Wednesday, Milwaukee Common Council president Willie L. Hines Jr. said he was "appalled" to see Clarke's "over-the-top comments" in print.
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter
- Monona cafe calls for action after no charges in embezzlement case
- Consumer Reports: Should you buy Ikea appliances?
- Consumer Reports: Foods that heal
- WEDC grants help grow entrepreneurship programs across state
- Political expert weighs in on effectiveness of Women's March movement