TOWN OF MOUNT IDA, Wis. - A driver was killed when his semitrailer crashed in Grant County Wednesday morning.
Grant County authorities responded about 10:40 a.m. to a report of a semitrailer crash on Highway 18 in the Town of Mount Ida.
The injured driver was assisted by passersby until deputies arrived at the scene at 10:49 a.m. and found the driver, Michael R. Schoenbeck, 38, of Grant Park, Ill., dead.
Schoenbeck had been traveling east on Highway 18 when he lost control on a curve and left the roadway, striking a mailbox and a tree on a homeowner's property, according to a Grant County Sheriff's Office news release.
The semitrailer was hauling wheels for railroad cars, and the rail wheels came loose in the crash, further crushing the semi's cab and coming to rest in a homeowner's yard.
The stretch of Highway 18 had one lane closed for nearly six hours due to crash investigation and cleanup of the scene.
Sheriff's officials said Schoenbeck wasn't wearing his seat belt at the time of the crash.
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue