ANAHEIM, Calif. - Xavier Thames scored a career-high 27 points and San Diego State held off a late rally to beat No. 25 Marquette 67-59 in championship game of the Wooden Legacy on Sunday night.
The game was tied at 53 with 3 1/2 minutes remaining, but the Aztecs (5-1) closed with a 14-4 run to knock off their second ranked opponent in two games.
Thames, who was named tournament MVP, shot 7 of 16 from the field, including 5 for 6 from three-point range. He also drained six free throws in the finals 40 seconds to secure the win.
Josh Davis had a game-high 11 rebounds and joined Thames on the all-tournament team, and Dakari Allen and Winston Shepard each scored eight points for SDSU.
Deonte Burton scored 15 points to lead Marquette (5-3), which lost to its second unranked opponent in a week.
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land