MADISON, Wis. - Thieves caused more than $100,000 damage to a vacant building in Madison when they harvested scrap metal from the building, according to a release from Madison police.
The manager of the building at 1002 E. Washington Ave. told police he discovered someone had gotten onto the roof. The building was once the Madison Dairy Produce facility and is owned by a Minnesota company.
Small air-conditioning and heating units were taken from the roof and larger units were broken open and stripped of valuable metals, such as copper.
- Thieves target academic offices in string of textbooks thefts, officials say
- Conservation group reacts after judge allows high-impact uses at Sauk Prairie rec area
- Driver reverses into trooper vehicle during traffic stop, officials say
- Bicyclist injured in crash with semi, Dodge County officials say
- Consumer Reports: Pet-proof your house
- Beloit police officers gear up to wear body cameras in schools