MADISON, Wis. - A phone scammer threatened to kill a 90-year-old Madison woman and burn her house down when she didn't go for his sweepstakes scam, according to a release from Madison police.
The woman told police the man, who called himself Michael Watson, called to tell her she won the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes which included $1 million and a new car. She was told she needed to buy two $500 prepaid gift cards in order to receive the prize, but she said she wasn't interested and hung up.
The man called back right away and made the threats, police said.
Police said the call came from Jamaica and the number was 876-278-4085.Madison crime map
- Janesville police take extra precautions after fentanyl found in area
- Forged letter criticizes local police chief
- DNR determines several factors led to Janesville fish kill
- Memorial Day travel expected to hit highest rate since 2005
- Police have identified hit-and-run driver
- Forged letter criticzes local police chief