KIEL, Wis. - A U.S. Navy sailor from Wisconsin has died in a diving accident in Guam.
The Navy says 22-year-old Diver 3rd Class Robert Dotzler of Kiel was found unconscious Wednesday while conducting diving operations on U.S. Naval Base Guam.
Dotzler was assigned to the USS Frank Cable, a submarine tender.
According to navytimes.com, Dotzler as not diving, but observing other divers from the water's surface in a "snorkeling-like role." When the other divers surfaced, they noticed Dotzler was missing and found him at the bottom of the harbor.
Dotzler was pulled from the water unconscious and later pronounced dead at Guam's Naval Hospital.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the Navy is conducting an investigation.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday