KIEL, Wis. - A U.S. Navy sailor from Wisconsin has died in a diving accident in Guam.
The Navy says 22-year-old Diver 3rd Class Robert Dotzler of Kiel was found unconscious Wednesday while conducting diving operations on U.S. Naval Base Guam.
Dotzler was assigned to the USS Frank Cable, a submarine tender.
According to navytimes.com, Dotzler as not diving, but observing other divers from the water's surface in a "snorkeling-like role." When the other divers surfaced, they noticed Dotzler was missing and found him at the bottom of the harbor.
Dotzler was pulled from the water unconscious and later pronounced dead at Guam's Naval Hospital.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the Navy is conducting an investigation.
- Stoughton man critical after rollover crash
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'