MADISON, Wis. - A Madison woman was arrested after an argument between two roommates allegedly turned violent, according to a release.
Madison police responded to a disturbance in the 4700 block of Thurston Lane Wednesday around 8:12 a.m., according to the release.
Officials said Helen J. Smalley, 55, of Madison, and her roommate had gotten into a verbal argument about Smalley giving a key to their apartment to an unknown person.
Smalley allegedly got upset about her roommate trying to tell her what to do by saying who was allowed to have access to their shared apartment and the argument turned physical between Smalley and her roommate, according to the release.
The argument initially started with pushing and shoving but ended with Smalley swinging a barbell at her roommate, according to the release.
The woman barricaded herself inside her bedroom with her 9-year-old grandson while Smalley stabbed the bedroom door with a 12-inch knife, according to the release.
Officials said the woman got out of the residence before police arrived.
Smalley was arrested on charges of second-degree reckless endangerment and damage to property.Madison crime map
- Pickup truck, car fall through ice on 2 Dodge County lakes
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says