MILWAUKEE - Republican Mitt Romney's campaign has filed a federal lawsuit seeking more time for military and overseas voters in Wisconsin to return ballots that were sent past a federal deadline.
The campaign on Sunday provided copies of the lawsuit filed in federal court in Madison on Friday.
The campaign earlier this month sent a letter to the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board asking that the deadline for returning military and overseas ballots be extended. A spokesman for the GAB said 44 ballots were sent up to five days after the Sept. 22 deadline.
Federal law requires the ballots to be returned by Nov. 9.
The lawsuit seeks at least five additional days for them to be returned.
A spokesman for the GAB did not immediately respond to a Sunday email seeking comment.
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial