PLYMOUTH TOWNSHIP, Wis. - A Rock County man is arrested on suspicion of homicide after a fatal shooting in Plymouth Township, according to the Rock County Sheriff's Office.
Daniel Bellard, 75, remains hospitalized and guarded at University of Wisconsin Hospital after his neighbor, Christine Gestrich, 59, was found dead in a shed. Deputies found Bellard with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in another shed. He's listed in stable condition.
Deputies responded to 6707 W. Stuart Road at 8:18 a.m. Wednesday for a report of a shooting.
Rock County Sheriff Bob Spoden said the decision to arrest Bellard on suspicion of first-degree intentional homicide came after an investigation of physical evidence, witness statements and investigative interviews.
Sheriff's officials said Bellard's wife reported the shooting. Three firearms were taken from the property as evidence.
Detectives said it appeared there was an altercation.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls