MADISON, Wis. - Rock County officials say residents who need sand or sandbags should contact local officials.
Parts of the Rock River, Turtle Creek and Sugar River are at or near flood-stage levels. Sheriff's Deputy Barbara Tillman says some homes have water in the yard, some have a few inches in basements and others have full basements.
The National Weather Service is indicating that the Rock River is at major flood stages in the Lake Koshkonong and Newville areas and moderate flood stages in the Afton area.
High school students, fire departments, inmate crews and other volunteers have been filling thousands of sandbags and leaving them throughout the county so residents can easily access them.
The sheriff's department has posted phone numbers online that residents can call to get sand or sandbags. The participating locations are the townships of Beloit, Fulton, Harmony, Janesville, Milton and Rock.
Contacts for sandbag pickup:
Rock Township – 608-752-4292
Fulton Township – 608-868-4103
Milton Township - 608-868-2465
Janesville Township – 608-754-1468
Beloit Township – 608-364-2997
Harmony Township – 608-868-6065
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land