MADISON, Wis. - A west side restaurant owner was scammed out of $1,500 by someone claiming to be a representative of Madison Gas and Electric, according to a release.
The owner of Freshii got a call from someone who claimed to be from MG&E and said there was a new payment plan being used by the utility in which a customer takes out prepaid debit cards and provides the numbers on the phone, officials said.
After completing the transfer, the restaurant owner realized he might have been scammed and called the real MG&E, according to the release.
- Janesville police take extra precautions after fentanyl found in area
- Forged letter criticizes local police chief
- DNR determines several factors led to Janesville fish kill
- Memorial Day travel expected to hit highest rate since 2005
- Police have identified hit-and-run driver
- Forged letter criticzes local police chief