MADISON, Wis. - A west side restaurant owner was scammed out of $1,500 by someone claiming to be a representative of Madison Gas and Electric, according to a release.
The owner of Freshii got a call from someone who claimed to be from MG&E and said there was a new payment plan being used by the utility in which a customer takes out prepaid debit cards and provides the numbers on the phone, officials said.
After completing the transfer, the restaurant owner realized he might have been scammed and called the real MG&E, according to the release.
- All Iowa County roads reported as ice covered, hazardous
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need