MADISON, Wis. - A west side restaurant owner was scammed out of $1,500 by someone claiming to be a representative of Madison Gas and Electric, according to a release.
The owner of Freshii got a call from someone who claimed to be from MG&E and said there was a new payment plan being used by the utility in which a customer takes out prepaid debit cards and provides the numbers on the phone, officials said.
After completing the transfer, the restaurant owner realized he might have been scammed and called the real MG&E, according to the release.
- Consumer Reports: Is identity theft insurance worth it?
- Whitewater High School evacuated because of suspicious package
- PD: Someone opened fire on officers who responded to suspicious vehicle report
- 24-year-old Cuba City woman struck, killed pedestrian on Iowa road
- Woman struck, killed walking on highway, deputies say
- Country star Willie Nelson to perform in Madison in June