FITCHBURG, Wis. - Authorities said a firefighter suffered heat exhaustion battling a fire in Fitchburg early Saturday.
The Fitchburg Police Department said officers and fire crews responded to a report of a fire at 1104 Whispering Pines Way at about 1:52 a.m.
First responders said flames and heavy smoke were visible from an eight-unit apartment building. None of the occupants were injured as officers were able to evacuate residents from the building.
Officials said one firefighter was taken to a local hospital for heat exhaustion and dehydration.
According to the report, the fire originated from the balcony area in one of the apartments. The other seven units sustained smoke and water damage.
The Red Cross helped the displaced residents relocate from the building, police said.
The fire department is investigating.
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Multiple reports of gunshots heard in Madison Sunday night