MADISON, Wis. - People can now sign up for the annual Home Energy Assistance program that is available through May 15, 2014.
Last year, more than 221,000 households got financial help to heat their homes.
This year, the state expects to get $70 million in federal funds to help around 215,000 homes. The state expects the average assistance per home to be $227, according to a release.
People may also be eligible for emergency fuel and furnace repair assistance.
Help is based on household income, how many live in the home and the cost to heat the home. Residents may be eligible if the gross household income is 60 percent of the state median income level or less.
If you or someone you know needs assistance, call 1-866-432-8947 or go online.
INCOME GUIDELINES FOR 2013-2014 HEATING SEASON
- Deputies warn of thin ice as warm temps continue
- Falcons roll 44-21 to reach Super Bowl
- Packers fall to Falcons 44-21
- Family, friends of Tony Robinson protest plan to return officer to patrol
- Packers fans stock up on snacks before NFC Championship game
- Wisconsin officials investigating skull found on vacant land