MADISON, Wis, - A would-be burglar was scared off when a downtown resident woke early Wednesday morning to the sound of a window being opened, according to Madison police.
The 21-year-old man living in the residence in the 500 block of West Mifflin Street turned on the lights and scared off the burglar. The victim said he saw a man wearing a backpack walking away from the home.
An unlocked window in the home had been opened.
The burglar is described as wearing all-black clothing and a black hat that might have gold coloring on the edge. He was carrying a light-colored backpack.
Police questioned a man about the burglary but did not have enough probable cause to make an arrest.Madison crime map
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs