MADISON, Wis. - The state Republican Party is accusing Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke of being a hypocrite for saying she wants to outlaw campaign donations from outside Wisconsin.
The state party circulated footage of Burke making the comment Thursday during a campaign stop in Green Bay. Burke has repeatedly said she believes special interest money from outside Wisconsin has too much influence on campaigns.
Republican Party executive director Joe Fadness said Burke is a hypocrite because she got roughly $1.1 million in donations this year from outside the state.
Burke's spokesman Joe Zepecki issued a snarky response, saying Burke's opposition to outside money was an opinion shared by "roughly 100 percent of people with a pulse." He said she is currently playing by the same rules as Republican Gov. Scott Walker.
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms