MADISON, Wis. - A former Waupun City Council member is seeking the Republican nomination for Wisconsin secretary of state.
Rohn Bishop announced his candidacy on Monday night with an email to supporters and the launch of his campaign website. The election is in November 2014.
Incumbent Secretary of State Doug La Follette, a Democrat, says he will seek re-election next year. La Follette has held the office since 1974, except for a four-year period in the 1980s.
Powers of the office have greatly diminished over the past 20 years. Earlier this year the Legislature removed his power to publish bills.
Bishop says the office should either be merged with others or abolished. The 72-year-old La Follette opposes that, saying the office should be strengthened.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash