MADISON, Wis. - A former Waupun City Council member is seeking the Republican nomination for Wisconsin secretary of state.
Rohn Bishop announced his candidacy on Monday night with an email to supporters and the launch of his campaign website. The election is in November 2014.
Incumbent Secretary of State Doug La Follette, a Democrat, says he will seek re-election next year. La Follette has held the office since 1974, except for a four-year period in the 1980s.
Powers of the office have greatly diminished over the past 20 years. Earlier this year the Legislature removed his power to publish bills.
Bishop says the office should either be merged with others or abolished. The 72-year-old La Follette opposes that, saying the office should be strengthened.
- Majority of Superior shipyard workers test positive for lead
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out