MILWAUKEE - A new state-by-state ranking of business tax burdens puts Wisconsin at No. 34.
The list from the Michigan-based consulting group Anderson Economic Group LLC goes from lightest tax burden to heaviest.
That means Wisconsin has a heavier tax burden than 33 other states.The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that in the Midwest, only Michigan fares worse at No. 43.
Top of the group's list with least burden are Delaware, Oregon and Utah.
To determine state rankings, Anderson Economic Group looked at average state and local taxes paid by private businesses as a share of the collective pre-tax operating profits in each state's private sector.
- Kenosha man faces re-trial in 1990 murder of woman, 18
- More than 100 people to lose jobs when distributor closes in Watertown
- Real-looking starter pistol held to man's head in planned robbery, police say
- PD: Suspected drunken driver goes for officer's gun, injures 2 officers
- Deputies: Couple caught stealing coats may be connected to other thefts
- Detectives seek help identifying burglar in surveillance pics