MILWAUKEE - The medical examiner's office said a 57-year-old man died last summer at the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex due to complications of obesity and sleep apnea.
Paul Haugan was found dead at the complex July 28. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the medical examiner said Haugan also had cardiovascular disease. He weighed 375 pounds.
A federal inspector's report said Haugan had difficulty breathing and had been wearing an oxygen mask the day before he died. But he broke the mask while yanking it from his face.
According to the report, a nurse told investigators she didn't place a new mask on Haugan because he was sleeping.
The Mental Health Complex was cited by state and federal health officials. The state has approved the county's plan to correct procedural shortcomings.
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls