MADISON, Wis. - State regulators have again delayed implementing a new area code for northeastern Wisconsin.
The Public Service Commission in 2008 decided to give new telephone customers in the 920 area code a 274 prefix to ensure an adequate supply of numbers for the region.
The PSC had expected to implement the 274 number in 2011 but has held off. The commission said the economic slowdown has curtailed number growth and the agency has reduced new numbers it hands providers, extending 920's longevity.
Now the PSC said the 920 numbers won't be exhausted until 2017.
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs