MADISON, Wis. - State regulators have again delayed implementing a new area code for northeastern Wisconsin.
The Public Service Commission in 2008 decided to give new telephone customers in the 920 area code a 274 prefix to ensure an adequate supply of numbers for the region.
The PSC had expected to implement the 274 number in 2011 but has held off. The commission said the economic slowdown has curtailed number growth and the agency has reduced new numbers it hands providers, extending 920's longevity.
Now the PSC said the 920 numbers won't be exhausted until 2017.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday