MADISON, Wis. - State regulators have again delayed implementing a new area code for northeastern Wisconsin.
The Public Service Commission in 2008 decided to give new telephone customers in the 920 area code a 274 prefix to ensure an adequate supply of numbers for the region.
The PSC had expected to implement the 274 number in 2011 but has held off. The commission said the economic slowdown has curtailed number growth and the agency has reduced new numbers it hands providers, extending 920's longevity.
Now the PSC said the 920 numbers won't be exhausted until 2017.
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash