MADISON, Wis. - State regulators have again delayed implementing a new area code for northeastern Wisconsin.
The Public Service Commission in 2008 decided to give new telephone customers in the 920 area code a 274 prefix to ensure an adequate supply of numbers for the region.
The PSC had expected to implement the 274 number in 2011 but has held off. The commission said the economic slowdown has curtailed number growth and the agency has reduced new numbers it hands providers, extending 920's longevity.
Now the PSC said the 920 numbers won't be exhausted until 2017.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash