MADISON, Wis. - Drafting records show a company looking to open a huge iron mine in far northwestern Wisconsin made suggestions on language in a Republican bill that would streamline Wisconsin's mining regulations.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in Wednesday's editions that the records show Gogebic Taconite officials were asking for modifications in December, weeks before the bill was introduced.
Liberal group One Wisconsin Now made the records public.
Gogebic Taconite lobbyist Bob Seitz didn't immediately return a telephone message from The Associated Press. He told the Journal Sentinel Gogebic Taconite is the only mining company in the state and people should expect it to offer input.
- Community supports boy fighting for his life
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program