MADISON, Wis. - Drafting records show a company looking to open a huge iron mine in far northwestern Wisconsin made suggestions on language in a Republican bill that would streamline Wisconsin's mining regulations.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported in Wednesday's editions that the records show Gogebic Taconite officials were asking for modifications in December, weeks before the bill was introduced.
Liberal group One Wisconsin Now made the records public.
Gogebic Taconite lobbyist Bob Seitz didn't immediately return a telephone message from The Associated Press. He told the Journal Sentinel Gogebic Taconite is the only mining company in the state and people should expect it to offer input.
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart