MADISON, Wis. - While outsourcing has been the focus of recent ads for governor, Democratic candidate Mary Burke is switching gears. Her latest ad tries to use Gov. Scott Walker's own words against him.
"He made a pledge," the ad says, then shows footage from a Walker ad for governor in 2010.
"Two hundred and fifty thousand new jobs by the end of our first term in office," Walker says in the clip.
"He asked us to hold him to it," the ad continues, then showing footage from an interview with WISN anchor Mike Gousha.
"Is this a campaign promise, something you want to be held to?" Gousha asks Walker.
"Absolutely," Walker responds.
News 3 finds the claim about this exchange to be true. Walker promised to help businesses create 250,000 jobs by the end of his first term.
Taking the best numbers we have available, News 3 estimates the state has created 100,313 since December of 2010.
The ad then compares Wisconsin to other states.
"Today Wisconsin is dead last in Midwest job growth, tenth out of 10," the ad says.
News 3 finds this needs clarification.
The Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics also includes Kansas and Missouri in the Midwest region, totaling 12 states, not 10. Out of those, Missouri's growth rate was lower, ranking Wisconsin 11 of 12 states in the Midwest.
"And those 250,000 jobs?" the ad asks. "Not even close."
News 3 finds this needs clarification. Our current total for job creation in the state since the beginning of Walker's term is just more than a 100,000, which means the state would have to create 24,947 jobs a month to meet the goal.
When showing "Not even close" on the screen, the ad cites articles by The Associated Press and WEAU-TV. The articles mention that gap, but they don't use the phrase "not even close" or make that specific judgment.
If you have an idea for a Reality Check, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coalition calls on city to immediately fund 15-point violence prevention plan
- Sherrif's department investigates sexting scandal involving local high school students
- Impaired driving police operation nets in multiple arrests, 2 guns seized
- Semi hauling trailer filled with beer crashes, closes highway ramp, officials say
- Teacher placed on leave for showing controversial documentary returning to class Tuesday
- Man won't get new sentence in death of Manitowoc officer