MADISON, Wis. - A fire at State Street clothing store Ragstock was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to the store at 329 State St. at 3:44 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire in the store's office above the retail shop.
Employees said they noticed smoke inside the building as they were closing the store.
Firefighters said smoke and flames were visible when they arrived.
Crews found and quickly extinguished the fire. Several windows were broken to ventilate the building.
The office sustained major smoke and fire damage, and the shop suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage is estimated at $100,000.
Stores adjacent to Ragstock suffered little to no damage, according to firefighters.
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Mustard Museum may close if county doesn't forgive loan
- Republican, Democrat each share hopes for inauguration