MADISON, Wis. - A fire at State Street clothing store Ragstock was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to the store at 329 State St. at 3:44 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire in the store's office above the retail shop.
Employees said they noticed smoke inside the building as they were closing the store.
Firefighters said smoke and flames were visible when they arrived.
Crews found and quickly extinguished the fire. Several windows were broken to ventilate the building.
The office sustained major smoke and fire damage, and the shop suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage is estimated at $100,000.
Stores adjacent to Ragstock suffered little to no damage, according to firefighters.
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Police questioning suspect in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two