MADISON, Wis. - A fire at State Street clothing store Ragstock was caused by the improper disposal of smoking materials, according to the Madison Fire Department.
Firefighters were called to the store at 329 State St. at 3:44 p.m. Thursday for a report of a fire in the store's office above the retail shop.
Employees said they noticed smoke inside the building as they were closing the store.
Firefighters said smoke and flames were visible when they arrived.
Crews found and quickly extinguished the fire. Several windows were broken to ventilate the building.
The office sustained major smoke and fire damage, and the shop suffered smoke and water damage. The total damage is estimated at $100,000.
Stores adjacent to Ragstock suffered little to no damage, according to firefighters.
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth