MADISON, Wis. - A company looking to dig a huge iron mine in northwestern Wisconsin is having problems with protesters.
Gogebic Taconite wants to open the mine in the Penokee Hills just south of Lake Superior. Opponents maintain the mine will pollute the Bad River and Lake Superior.
Wisconsin Public Radio reported company employees reported a disturbance involving about 15 protesters at the site as they began exploratory drilling.
Iron County Sheriff Tony Furyk told WPR a woman allegedly stole a cell phone and camera from a geologist and there were reports of vandalized property and barricades blocking access to the site.
WPR reports the situation ended peacefully with no arrests.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire