MADISON, Wis. - A power outage affected thousands of customers on Madison's east side and on the University of Wisconsin campus Wednesday afternoon.
An official with Madison Gas and Electric said a piece of equipment at a substation failed affecting about 3,100 customers. He said power went out at 12:10 p.m. and was restored after about five minutes.
He said another piece of equipment quickly restored the power.
Dane County dispatch and the Dane County Courthouse was affected by the outage. An employee told News 3 power at the courthouse was out for about an hour.
UW police said there were people stuck in elevators and computer problems on campus and the police were using backup power.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash