MILWAUKEE - A young orangutan at the Milwaukee County Zoo has died.
Zoo officials said 5-year-old Mahal died in his exhibit Saturday about 8:30 a.m. Zoo officials said he'd been showing signs of illness since Thursday.
The zoo's veterinary staff believes the cause of death was pneumonia. An official necropsy will be conducted to determine the exact cause.
Zoo officials said Mahal was especially popular with zoo visitors and they intend to plan a way for the public to commemorate him.
A Milwaukee Journal Sentinel report said the red-haired orangutan was born in Colorado in 2007 but his mother rejected him. Mahal was brought to Milwaukee to be raised by a surrogate mother.
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets