MADISON, Wis. - A Beloit man was arrested on drunken driving charges for driving the wrong way down East Gorham Street on June 22, Madison police said.
Just before 3 a.m. a Madison Police Department investigator was driving west in the 100 block of East Gorham Street when he saw headlights coming at him and another SUV that was driving next to him, according to a release. The investigator sped up and cut off all oncoming traffic.
All vehicles stopped, and the investigator stopped the white GMC that was driving down the one-way street in the wrong direction, police said.
The driver, Jason Hakim, 24, had no idea why he was being stopped, and told the investigator he thought he was on Waukesha Street on his way to pick up a friend, according to the release. The investigator smelled alcohol, and conducted field sobriety tests.
Hakim was arrested on a tentative charge of second-offense operating while intoxicated.Madison crime map
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire