MADISON, Wis. - Madison police arrested a panhandler on University Avenue Sunday morning after he struck a woman in the face.
According to a Madison Police Department statement, an officer saw Christopher Blackmer, 32, screaming at two women and following them down the 600 block of University Avenue after 1 a.m. The two 19-year-old women said the panhandler had asked for 50 cents and began to threaten them with sexual assault after they ignored his request. One woman said Blackmer hit her.
The statement said Blackmer was arrested on charges of battery and disorderly conduct.
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs