MADISON, Wis. - Madison police officers are warning drivers on the south side to lock their cars after a recent string of break-ins.
Police said people who live in the Baycreek, Monona Bay or Greenbush neighborhoods need to be especially careful.
The break-ins have been happening with cars parked on streets and private driveways, and most of the vehicles have been unlocked, police said. Sometimes entry was forced into the vehicles.
Sometime during the early morning hours on Wednesday, someone broke into a car parked in the 500 block of Wingra Street and stole a number of items, including a Glock handgun, according to the release.
Later Wednesday morning, a Madison Parks Department ranger reported to MPD he found an empty handgun holster near the Vilas Park beach area that was later determined to be associated with the stolen Glock.
Police believe someone is walking around in the early morning hours and breaking into the vehicles.Madison crime map
- Madison man admits to 8 armed robberies with BB gun, police say
- Judge drops power line construction ban
- 7 Wisconsin cities among the nation's 10 drunkest
- Teen car thief thwarted by OnStar techs, Madison police say
- West side hair studio burglarized
- People injured in school bus, dump truck collision still in hospital, sheriff says