MADISON, Wis. - Madison police officers are warning drivers on the south side to lock their cars after a recent string of break-ins.
Police said people who live in the Baycreek, Monona Bay or Greenbush neighborhoods need to be especially careful.
The break-ins have been happening with cars parked on streets and private driveways, and most of the vehicles have been unlocked, police said. Sometimes entry was forced into the vehicles.
Sometime during the early morning hours on Wednesday, someone broke into a car parked in the 500 block of Wingra Street and stole a number of items, including a Glock handgun, according to the release.
Later Wednesday morning, a Madison Parks Department ranger reported to MPD he found an empty handgun holster near the Vilas Park beach area that was later determined to be associated with the stolen Glock.
Police believe someone is walking around in the early morning hours and breaking into the vehicles.Madison crime map
- Family remembers fire that took 4 kids' lives 25 years later
- Plea deal reached in killing of 13-year-old girl in 1982
- Madison Club donation focuses on 100 Black Men, achievement gap
- Madison Metro bus driver retires after half a century
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Icy conditions send more people to ER for falls