MADISON, Wis. - Police are offering a warning and reminder as residents celebrate the season that there are others out there looking to make your gifts theirs.
Not only do the bad guys know you've got some extra loot under the tree, they also sometimes know your schedules have changed and maybe that you're heading out of town for the holiday.
With thieves waiting to pounce, police remind you to take extra precautions.
"Make sure that you're very diligent about locking your windows, your doors. If you're going to be out of town, make sure that you're paying attention to your lighting alternatives in and around your residence -- you may want to leave lights on," Madison police spokesman Howard Payne said.
Police remind residents to be extra mindful to lock garage doors and the door between your house and the garage.
They also want students to take measures as they leave town for break.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend