MADISON, Wis. - A 21-year-old Madison woman leaving a downtown bar said a man with a squirt-gun-like device sprayed mace, or something similar, into her eyes early Saturday morning, Madison police said.
The victim was crying and having a hard time seeing when police arrived about 2:16 a.m. in the 500 block of State Street, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.
She told a responding officer that it felt like her face was on fire. Snow was used to help wash the substance away.
Police said a man who was found sleeping in a nearby doorway was identified by a witness as the person responsible. Police said the man had an extendable, police-type baton in his pocket, but a squirt-gun-like device was not found.
Police said Jason D. Bogen, 27, of Madison, was arrested on tentative charges of intentional use of an oleoresin device causing bodily harm, carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says