MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said two teenagers have been detained but not arrested in connection to reports of a shot fired around 6:20 p.m. near 124 Langdon St. in downtown Madison.
Police are calling the incident a robbery but there is not currently an active shooter situation. No injuries have been reported.
Police are searching for a black man wearing dark clothing, a black and white baseball cap, black jacket, carrying a dark backpack.
Police thought one of them may be inside the Madison College building on North Carroll Street but cleared the lockdown around 7:30 p.m.
Madison College sent an emergency notice telling students and staff to stay in classrooms and avoid the downtown building.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department sent out alerts advising students and people in the area to stay inside but the shelter in place was lifted just before 9 p.m. UW police did ask students to avoid the area long the lake from Lake Street to the Lakeshore dorms.
A Memorial Union staff member said the building was in lockdown for part of the search.
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs
- Warmer weather creates bumpy ride for drivers