MADISON, Wis. - Madison police said two teenagers have been detained but not arrested in connection to reports of a shot fired around 6:20 p.m. near 124 Langdon St. in downtown Madison.
Police are calling the incident a robbery but there is not currently an active shooter situation. No injuries have been reported.
Police are searching for a black man wearing dark clothing, a black and white baseball cap, black jacket, carrying a dark backpack.
Police thought one of them may be inside the Madison College building on North Carroll Street but cleared the lockdown around 7:30 p.m.
Madison College sent an emergency notice telling students and staff to stay in classrooms and avoid the downtown building.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department sent out alerts advising students and people in the area to stay inside but the shelter in place was lifted just before 9 p.m. UW police did ask students to avoid the area long the lake from Lake Street to the Lakeshore dorms.
A Memorial Union staff member said the building was in lockdown for part of the search.
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash